Friday, August 24, 2012

{Luke: 2 1/2 Years Old!}

My first born is 2 1/2 years old today.  How did that happen?  Everyone says that the days are long, but the years are short and boy are they right.  I feel like he was this chubby little toddler just yesterday, but he actually is a funny, tall, skinny, crazy, cute boy now. 


We don't really celebrate half birthdays, but I am going to say that we do just so I don't feel bad about Luke suckering me into buying him two cookies today.  Two.  All before 11:00 am.  Yes, one at Whole Foods so he wouldn't have a total meltdown and the other at the cookie store right next to where he gets his haircut.  He did scream, cry and throw a major fit during his haircut today so why not reward that with a huge cookie.  The second huge cookie for the day.  Major parenting points for me today!

{Luke saying "two" and trying to hold up two fingers}

What can I say about Luke at 2 1/2 years old?  I think this sums it up -- the good is sooooooo good and the bad is typically pretty bad.  The talking, the kisses, the hugs, the learning, the giggles, the playtime.  It is wonderful at this age.  But the meltdowns, fits and opinions can be quite a lot to take at times.  Luckily lately we have way more good times than bad these days. 


Luke is talking more and more and it is so funny to hear what goes through his little head.  I love that we can have conversations and he can tell us what he needs/wants (sometimes it can be problem though...like when he wants oreos for lunch).  He has crazy energy (help!), loves his friends and obsessed with trains and most recently Mickey Mouse.  The pushing that was a problem the past few months seems to be subsiding and he seems to accepting those disappointing moments better (like when it is time to turn off the tv or time to go home when he is having fun).  He is still quite a handful and we are still using time outs when needed (like just now when he just hit my hand because I wouldn't let him type on the computer ~sigh~), but overall he is really fun to be around.

He can be very loving and loves to snuggle with me on the couch and hold my hand.  It is moments like those that I just want time to freeze so he will do that forever with me -- yes, I know that is a crazy boy mom moment that my future daughter-in-law will hate reading one day.  He is still in his crib and potty training is no where on the horizon.  I think he weighs around 35 or 36 pounds and I have no idea how tall he is except that he does seem about an inch or two taller than most of his peers.  Not sure if that will stick around or if he is just an early grower. 























He is also becoming a wonderful big brother.  Suddenly Luke is so interested in Ben and is constantly saying, "Baby trains!", meaning -- Ben come and stand at my train table and watch me play.  He gets on the floor and crawls with Ben now that baby brother is mobile.  It is really just overwhelming to watch the two of them together.  Luke still has his moments where he hits him or gets jealous and will act out, but there are definitely way more good times with these two brothers.

Happy half birthday Luke...Can't wait to see what the next 6 months bring!

No comments: