Thursday, December 4, 2014

{Santa Claus 2014}

I can't believe it was already time to visit Santa again! We got up today and headed to the Galleria to take our annual Santa picture. Thursday is the only day both boys are home from school so today seemed like the perfect day -- other than the 70 degree weather. Hence the shorts and short sleeve shirts you will see in the pictures. And the mismatched outfits. Ben was having nothing to do with wearing pants or the red shirt I tried to get him in. I finally convinced him to wear this gray shirt versus the Thomas the Train shirt he insisted on wearing. After a 30 minute meltdown, we settled on this.  
 
This year was different for us. Usually it is a one stop, Santa then home because the boys were either wild or crying. But this year the boys are almost three and five and it has made the world of a difference. No strollers, no diaper bag, no meltdowns, no tantrums. Just me and the boys. So we got there a bit early because I needed to make one quick stop at a store to make a return. We did that quickly and then headed for our fun.
 
The boys love escalators so we had to do a few of those first....
 

The Galleria has this little play area for kids as well. We frequented it a bit in the heat of the summer and they remembered. So off we went to that as well. They were so sweaty after about 45 minutes of running around and climbing.


Then it was time for Santa. We got there and there was maybe two people in front of us. I always recommend going the first week of December. There is never anyone there! Ben initially wasn't too sure of Santa. He had already told me he didn't want to sit on his lap. I didn't pressure just encouraged him to go talk to Santa and tell him what he wanted for Christmas. Since the workers were getting set-up, they boys had about five or six minutes to just chat with the Jolly guy. Luke said he wanted "race cars and trains" and Ben said he wanted "Snowy Gordon" (a train).


Luke got very friendly with him -- he acted so brave and sweet. Ben looked on and watched it all and seemed pretty okay. Then it was time to sit. Luke got up with no problem. Ben turned to follow me and so I gently got down on his level and asked him to go sit.

 
And well? We got a winner! For the first time since 2010, I have a Santa picture without a crying child. And what's weird is I kinda miss the crying picture. But I will take this as well! When they were done with the pictures, Ben came straight up to me with the biggest smile and said, "I didn't cry mommy. I was brave!" I was one proud mommy right then and there of my sweet boy. I am thinking three years old is going to be a great age for this big guy.
 

After Santa's visit, we went and got one cookie and one icee to split since they did so well. I was still in a little disbelief at how smoothly it all went. And what do my children love? Sugar! So I couldn't resist rewarding them with a little something. And it was just fun to sit with my two boys while we talked and ate. My how times have changed.



 All-in-all a GREAT morning! I know next year is going to be so different -- talk about change. I will have these boys and an 8 month old. I think I might get my crying Santa picture again!

No comments: