Saturday, May 19, 2012

{Ben's Sleeping Update}

I actually feel like I can talk about it now that Ben's sleeping has gone back into the toilet again.  For almost a whole week, I had a sleeper.  I had no idea it was so good.

It was pure bliss.

Let's start back on Thursday, May 10th.  {Note: For the weeks prior to that night, he had been waking up 3 to 4 times a night.} I nursed Ben to sleep around 7:45 pm.  By 8:30, he was up fussing.  I knew he wasn't hungry -- he had just eaten a very full meal.  So I decided to let him fuss.  It took about 25 minutes and then he was back down again.  It was hard to hear him upset, but he wasn't ever crying too hard, so we just powered through. 

Well, once we got through that hurdle, I thought to myself "Well, I guess we started this.  I didn't just listen to him cry for almost 30 minutes to have that mean nothing."  So we started the crying it out process that night much to my surprise. 

He was back up at 1:30 am and it took 40 minutes and he was back down.  He then woke up around 5:00 am.  By that time it had almost been 10 hours since he ate, so I felt like it was time to eat.  So I went in, nursed and then he went back down till 7 or so.

Friday night.  He slept the whole night, only waking up around 4:45 am to eat.  What?!?!?!  Was it that easy??

Apparently so.

The next night, the same thing.

Mother's Day -- Sunday night.  I put him down at 7:45 pm and he wakes up at 7:00 am.  Over 11 hours straight without a peep.  Cue angels singing.  I had no idea who this baby was.  But I loved it.  Best Mother's Day gift ever.  Of all times.

The next three nights, he woke up only once a night around 5:00 for a quick bite and then down he went till 7:00 or 8:00 each morning.

I didn't dare write anything down about his sleep because I didn't want to jinx anything. 

Well the fat lady has sung because it is over.  Thursday night, he woke up several times and I endured hearing his little cries again.  Last night, terrible.  He was practically up all night.

I just don't know why we are regressing.  I am doing nothing different.  Even more so, he has been sleeping better for naps in his crib.  Even falling asleep awake.  I know -- I can hear the gasps.  It has been that life-changing this week. 

So, I am now a bit sad, dreading the night once again.  Thinking things were heading in the right direction.  I am just saying my prayers tonight hoping that we get back to where we were. 
Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to comment on this as my son is 2 weeks behind Ben. I started reading your blog when Ben was sick on in the hospital. It's A Wonderful Life recommended prayers for you all then. Anyway, my son has also regressed! At about 4 months he was sleeping at least 7 hours!!! Now he is up every 2-3 hours!!!! The only way I can get him to go back down is nursing. My baby also will NOT take a bottle!!!!! You at least give me hope that I am not the ONLY tired momma!!!!! I have 3 boys and they all diff patterns!!!!! Hope it gets better for you!!!!! I sure do miss sleep!!!!!