Monday, March 16, 2015

{Kinder Roundup}

In about five months, Luke will be heading off to Kindergarten! I have been so excited about this upcoming transition. He will be going to our neighborhood, public school where he will not know one single kid in his Kindergarten class (I know he will do great!). He is excited and always talks about how big he is going to be when he goes there as we drive by the school. I can't wait for him to meet neighborhood kids and for me to get involved at such a wonderful elementary school.
 
We got the opportunity to go to Kinder Roundup in the beginning of March. Parents go and hear more about registrations, dress code, etc. and the kids get to go to a classroom for a bit and meet a "buddy" and shadow them for about 30 minutes. All in all it was a great time...

A quick selfie before the program started

...but after Kinder Roundup, I went to drop him off at his current preschool and I couldn't shake this funny feeling I had since arriving to his elementary school that morning. The morning was great -- we met nice people, saw a few faces that we knew and heard wonderful things about the year ahead. But when we got to his current school, I walked in a sighed with relief -- it felt warm, familiar and like home. It felt like a big hug wrapped around me. And I needed that hug.
 
I headed back to the car once I said good bye and felt tears well up in my eyes. I wasn't super sad, but for some reason, all that excitement I have been feeling about kindergarten was replaced with a bit of uneasiness and hesitation. I know Luke will do great once he is there, but I know we have a lot of change ahead of us and it feels good to be somewhere small, familiar and safe. So I realize this transition might be a bit harder on me than I thought it would be. But I have a feeling by the time August rolls around, my heart will be more prepared and the uneasiness will diminish. At least those are my prayers.

Luke outside his new school!

I am so proud of Luke. He amazes me everyday with his kindness and eagerness to meet new friends. I look forward to this next step...just need to get through a few months of some major change and come out on the other side. I love him so!

No comments: