Friday, March 8, 2013

{Another One Down & A Canceled Trip}

Viruses really are the pits.  After Luke getting sick, then me getting sick, I guess it was only natural for Ben to get sick.  I almost thought we were going to make it through without him going down, but that wasn't the case.

I got a call on Wednesday from the boys' school that Ben was wheezing.  I went and got him early, brought him home and we used his rescue inhaler but it didn't seem to be working.  So off to the doctor we went...


He was wheezing really bad, so we got two inhalers and some oral steroids and we were off.  He seemed to be doing better on Thursday -- acting totally okay, laughing and playing.  Then he got fever yesterday afternoon after his nap.  It got up to over 101.5 before I gave him some ibuprofen and that seemed to control it.  But I started wondering if the worst was yet to come.  We were supposed to be leaving today to drive to Jackson, Mississippi to see Chat's college and go to some baseball games.  Chat hasn't been back since he graduated and he was so excited to bring the boys and show me what life was like back then.  He was super pumped to see his old baseball coach and see the team.  But after lots (and lots and lots...okay, maybe a few fights) we determined we shouldn't make the drive.  Even though Ben is doing well and seems to be on the mend, we don't know when his breathing issues will take a turn for the worst and we didn't want to risk being so far from Texas Children's Hospital.  Needless to say, we were pretty disappointed.

So instead of a trip, Chat is off to work tonight to cover a shift for a co-worker.  He is hoping that if he does this, than this guy can cover for him in a few weeks and we can try to get this trip rescheduled.  I really do hope it turns out that we can go.  Chat looked like someone shot his puppy all last night and this morning.  He is that disappointed and I feel really bad.  I am disappointed too.  Even though it was a long drive, I was excited about doing this as a family of four.  Sometimes it is hard to be the parents and do the responsible thing, but we both didn't want to risk anything with Ben given his history. 

We did have a few fun things this week even in the midst of all the coughing and wheezing -- like the Houston rodeo!  I went with several of my mommy friends and we saw Lady Antebellum.  I wasn't sure I was going to be well enough to go, but it turns out it was a great night out and just what the doctor ordered.  

 
My dad got us six tickets from his work and some parking passes, so all we had to do was show up...which made the night pretty easy.  The band was really good even though I only knew a few of their songs.  I actually wished they had continued playing for a bit more!  And nothing is better than a funnel cake to make a night perfect! 
 

The boys and I also went to the zoo on Thursday with some friends when we thought Ben was doing better.  Nothing like the carousel and a train ride to make any day better!

 
Pictures are getting harder and harder to get with these growing kiddos...
 
The good news is we get to go to two birthday parties this weekend that we were going to miss if we went on the trip.  So at least Luke we get to have fun with friends!  This also gives me a few more days to get better myself.  I am feeling better, but still coughing a bunch.  I hope to get all my energy back and then be sick-free this spring!  I wish I had some tips on how to boost my immune system. 
 
Next week is spring break, so the boys will be out of school.  Chat will actually be in Austin for the majority of the week for training, so I am hoping the boys and I are healthy and we can get out and about to pass the days.  Now off to swim class!
 

No comments: