Monday, July 9, 2012

{Lipase Issue, Juicy Comments & Baby Food Hatred}

First, it seems as though we are having some trouble in the bottle arena once again.  Ben did great last week and took a bottle (with a little lot of coaxing) on Monday and Tuesday.  Then disaster struck and he refused Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.  But I was noticing something different those three days. On Wednesay, it didn't seem to be the nipple that was the issue. He would make a face when he tasted the milk. Then I noticed that the milk was smelling funny -- kinda musty-like. Definitely did not smell fresh. So Saturday, I pumped one side and gave it right away to him. He fought it a bit, but then took it.  I did the same thing on Sunday.  He fought, but eventually took it which is very different than Wednesday through Friday (he would fight, but never give in). 

So it makes me think that I might have an issue with excess lipase (an enzyme) in my breastmilk that causes milk to taste and smell funny. It is not bad for the baby to drink, but can cause some picky eaters (ahem Ben) to reject the bottle. The answer is scalding the milk before freezing or refrigerating it.  Sigh.  This is getting very complicated.  Before I do anything, I am doing a few more tests.  I have 4 month old frozen milk, 2 month old frozen milk and 1 day old refrigerated milk.  I am going to warm them all up and then smell/taste it to see if they all have the issue, etc.  Again, this is getting very complicated.  I just want this baby to take a bottle!!!!

Second, today at the grocery store Ben was described as "juicy" as we rolled by the cashiers.  This was a new one that I have yet to hear (which is hard because we get comments everywhere we go on his ginormous size).  Yes, I know my baby is a bit plump but that is no reason to call him this.  Okay, I will admit it...he most definitely is juicy.  Really loved this one!

And lastly, here is proof that Ben hates baby food.  I have been working with him for over two months and this is where we are at...



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I came across youг pаgе οn http:
//kazeo.сom and although the info seems gгeat, I wonder if уοur page may
possіbly be experiencing a сοuple
internet browseг compatibility troubles. When I look аt уоur web-site in Chrоme, it loοκs fine however, when opening in IE, it has a
few ovеrlapρіng problems. I ѕimply wanteԁ to offer you with a quiсk
heads up, that's all.

Also visit my blog post - fireplace