Friday, March 30, 2012

{The Good And The Bad}

I am sure you can read in between the lines of my recent posts...lately, Luke has been difficult.  Very difficult.  The whining (OMG...the whining), the tantrums, the sensitivity, the pushing of other kids, the trouble sharing.  It has really been challenging to handle him at times.  But along with the bad, there have been wonderful moments.  Amazing moments.

A few nights ago, I was giving Luke a bath.  When washing his hair, I pour water over his head twice and then have a towel ready to blot his eyes to get all the water out.  That night was no different, so after I toweled his eyes off, he looks at me and says "thank you mama" with the biggest smile.  And kept right on playing.  It doesn't seem like much, but as his mother it was a moment I don't think I will ever forget. At least I hope I don't.

Because I love this kid.


They don't call them the Terrible Twos for nothing.  I pray every night for the energy to handle him and what this age brings.  But, although easy to be overshadowed by the challenges, this age has brought a lot of positives.  And I try to remember that as well.  His communication.  The way he can tell me what he wants.  How he can say almost all of his ABC's and how he has now started to count.  How he tells Ben "night night baby" before heading off to bed unpromted.  How he looks at the little horse on his polo shorts and starts "neighing".  How his whole face brightens up when he sees a school bus.  How he now asks for his friends by name and gets ecstatic when he gets to play with them.  How he gives kisses.  How he loves singing "daddy daddy bo baddy, banana fanana fo fatty" with everyone's names he knows.

It really is an incredible age.  The good and the bad. 

I am trying to remember what my mom tells me when I am struggling.  "Children are a work in progress".  We are working.  We are progressing.  And as time is marching on, we seem to be figuring out our new normal and hoping that each day brings more good than bad. 
Photobucket

No comments: