Tuesday, February 19, 2013

{Nursing}

The fat lady has sung because it is over.  I can't believe it has already been almost six weeks since I last nursed Ben because it feels like eternity but somehow it has.  Right around 13 months, I just felt it was time for us to stop.  He was on the move so much, I didn't feel like he really needed it anymore for comfort, two stomach bugs helped lower my supply, cow's milk was pretty darn convenient.  The list went on and on.  Not to mention he looked like a 2 or 3 year old so we started getting some serious stares (ha!). 

It was time. I felt it. I knew it. 

I guess it should be over when your baby can inhale a whole donut under five minutes...


It was a wonderful 13 months. I laughed, cried, complained, and loved all the way through it.  I never truly thought I would ever nurse him that long.   It was hard.  The first six months I dreamed about the day I didn't have to anymore.  But then over the next few months, it became easier.  I ended up really enjoying that time and it was something very simple for me to do.  The last time I nursed him, I didn't truly know it was the last time, but I had an idea. It was a Thursday before nap. I remember it very clearly.

But now he is rocking and rolling the cow's milk and it has made things pretty easy.  He takes a sippy cup all day and I still give him a bottle of milk at night.  I have no idea how long we will continue that, but I love rocking him at the end of a busy day and listening to his breath become rhythmic.  He is still a baby even though he is growing up pretty darn fast.  I am not trying to rush it.  I am just enjoying the little part of the baby I have left.

2 comments:

aria said...

Congratulations! 13 months is a big accomplishment! Well done.

Brittney said...

Agreed! Way to go, Mama - 13 months is huge!