Thursday, February 2, 2012

{Pressure Support Trial #1 and Other ICU Events}

A quick update -- Ben had his first pressure support trial this afternoon and he did not do well unfortunately. He was breathing too fast (90s) and his oxygen level declined. They have decided to hold off on anymore trials tonight and start again tomorrow. Therefore, extubating is not an option for the next day or two. I kind of expected this though since he still hasn't made significant improvement yet.  Lets hope Ben continues to heal and will tolerate these trials better in the coming days.  In other events in the ICU tonight, Ben had a bath tonight and was weighed.  This is quite hard to do when he has so many tubes and wires and it takes several nurses to accomplish it.  They are so wonderful and careful with him that it warms my heart.  Guess it is the mom in me, but I just feel better when my baby is freshly bathed and clean.  Here are a few pictures of his eventful night...
Ben getting weighed
(7.62 in kilograms -- 16 lbs 12 ounces due to lots of water weight :)

Ben's bathtime!
His poor eyelids are so swollen from all the fluids.
Photobucket

4 comments:

Hillary said...

Sorry, I'm the new crazy commenting lady... :). But I just can't help it! Ben is just adorable and for some reason you story is really speaking to my heart right now. I have a 4 month old little guy maybe thats why... :)

Once again, prayers for you guys and for a speedy and full recovery for Ben.

xoxox

Bethany Lenhart said...

Thank you so much Hillary. Your prayers and thoughts mean so much to me.

Brooke said...

I saw your blog linked from Megan at In This Wonderful Life just yesterday. The same day that one of my friends posted on FB the year anniversary of her daughter being admitted to the hospital and put on a vent due to RSV. Today her daughter is a happy, healthy one year old exceeding all expectations. Ben looks like a little fighter....I'm sure he will be the same. Your family is in my thoughts.

Brooke

Meant to be a mom said...

Still thinking of you guys so much and praying like crazy.