Wednesday, February 23, 2011

{An Unexpected First Birthday}

And not in a good way. Luke is sick...very sick and his birthday is tomorrow. He developed a fever Monday night and it hasn't left since. It spiked all the way up to 103.4 last night scaring me to death. I spoke to the on-call doctor shortly after, promised him to wake Luke up every 4 hours to take his temperature and give him tylenol and to go into the doctor's office first thing today. And then the real fun started....

After waking up with 103 tempertaure this morning, almost 3 hours in the doctor's office, 2 blood draws, one catheter to get a urine culture (horrible!) and 2 shots later, we left battered and shook up. I have never felt my heart hurt that much for our little guy as it did today. He was a trooper, but man was it tough. His fever is still high days later and we still don't have answers. We hope to find out more when his urine culture comes back Friday morning. It is determined it is bacterial due to the high level of white blood cells, but other than that, we still don't know. I just hope and pray we wake up tomorrow with a feverless little birthday boy.

Side note -- It is times like this that I think of the pioneer women and how they handled days like this -- without doctors, without medicine, without all the luxuries we have today. It was hard to keep him comfortable with all that we have this day and age...I really don't know how they did it. Hats off.


So our days are spent cuddling, loving and trying to get this boy comfortable and through this tough time. Luckily Chat has been off today and tomorrow. We thought we were going to be bringing Luke to the zoo tomorrow to celebrate his big FIRST birthday, but it now will be spent at home trying to get him well (and softly singing happy birthday to him all day).

I am not even thinking about the birthday party planned for Saturday that we may or may not have now. At this point, I just want my little man well. Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

Brittney said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your precious little boy!! Poor baby:( I will be praying he gets well very soon. Please keep us posted!