Wednesday, May 6, 2015

{Drew: Two Weeks Old}

Drew is two weeks old as of yesterday! We are slowly getting into a rhythm here at home although it is still a bit tricky since sleep is still hard to come by. But already it feels like Drew has been part of us forever and I couldn't imagine life without him. He is one sweet boy!


We headed to his pediatrician appointment today and he got a clean bill of health. He did great at his appointment -- he was awake and calm for the most part. He cried a bit when they pricked his heal to get blood for the newborn screening that was due, but other than that, he did well. After a quick nursing session, we were on our way within about 30 minutes. His stats at two weeks are:

10 pounds 2.4 ounces (88%)
21.65 inches long (88%)
Head circumference 14.57 inches (82%)



Drew is sleeping a lot still. He has awake time in the morning, sleeps all afternoon, then has one or two awake times in the evening/night before bed. I am lucky if he gives me a two hour stretch at night, so sleep at night is still very hard to come by. We have had two rough nights in a row that have made me very sleepy and struggling a bit, but the pediatrician said that babies have a growth spurt around two weeks old, so that isn't very unusual. I hope we have a better night tonight so I can recharge a bit. Late last week I moved Drew to his crib. He wasn't doing very well in the other little beds we had and I realized I was just moving him throughout the night with no rhyme or reason. He is doing pretty well in his crib and I sleep better when he is not right by me since he grunts all night long. We are swaddling him using a new type of blanket. It gives his arms some range of motion, but also keeps him from waking due to his startling reflex that all newborns have.

{Drew on his first walk}

{Captain Adorable}

He is nursing every hour to two and half hours during the day and gives us tons of wet and dirty diapers. Drew's umbilical cord finally fell off earlier this week, so I was able to give him his first official bath where he could be submerged in water (versus a sponge bath). He seemed to like it and do okay! He gives me very serious looks most days which is so funny to me. He burrows his eyebrows and will look very deeply at me. He might be our serious child! I see both Luke and Ben in Drew, but mostly he reminds me of Ben as a baby. We will see if that stays!

{First bath!}


The boys are still loving him so much! They always want to know where he is. They will kiss his little head and love to say good morning and good night to him. Unfortunately the boys are fighting a lot lately with each other  -- and that is our big problem. Since I am so tired, I have very little patience to hear them arguing. It is the one thing I really am not doing well AT ALL right now. So I have had a bit of a struggle keeping my cool with Luke and Ben. And then of course regret how I reacted to them later. I know this too shall pass, but I hate that my patience is running so thin. Luckily they are being great big brothers!

{Both boys still enjoy holding Drew}

{Being silly}

{Playing peek-a-boo!}

{At Luke's t-ball game!}

I am enjoying this time and trying to remember I will get more sleep soon. Handling all three during the day is going well -- probably because Drew is asleep usually the whole day. I know as he begins to 'wake up' more, that might become more challenging. We are already on the go a lot with him since I have to keep up with the big boys activities. It is good because it keeps me above water and in the 'land of the living' as I like to call it. Sometimes I can get very down if I stay home and just focus on how tired I am. The newborn stage has never been easy for me, but I am trying to enjoy it more this time around and remember these tiring days are few and far between.

{My serious boy}

{Sleep...it's what he does best during the DAY!}

We head back to the pediatrician at two months for immunizations, so until then, I hope we get a bit more rest and get even more settled as a family of five.

No comments: