Friday, May 22, 2015

{Drew: Four Weeks Old!}

Drew is a month old (as of yesterday)! At times I feel like it has been flying by and other days it is creeping by slowly. I guess it depends on how tired I am at the moment and how much sleep I got the night before. Ha!
 
 
1. Drew is really filling out. I originally thought he might be me lean child and not be a chubster, but I think he is proving me wrong. He is four weeks and weighing somewhere between 12 and 13 pounds. He is starting to get a few chins there too! But his legs are definitely still leaner than my older boys. It will be very interesting to see where he lands in the size department.
 
 
2. Sleep is still a bit tricky with this one. He usually is still going about 2.5 hours at night, although he has given me a 3.5 hour stretch and one 4 hour stretch as well. But usually I put him down by 11:00 pm and I wake up twice -- usually somewhere between 1:30 and 2:00 and then again around 4:00. When he starts to stir betweetn 5:30 and 6:00, Chat will go get him and bring him to me and he sleeps on my chest until it is time to get up. I clearly don't have those children sleeping long stretches by a month or two, but if he can continue like this, I can manage even though I am tired. He had a few nights where he was worse and those were hard days that followed.
 
 
3. He is getting more awake now and spending a few hours everyday with 'awake time'. Morning is usually when he is the most awake and alert. He tends to wake up and spend an hour or so with his eyes wide open, then he takes a cat nap, then he is back up for another hour or hour and half. He tends to sleep most of the afternoon starting around noon or 1:00 and wakes up only to nurse in those four or five hours, then he spends some awake time at night. Sometimes it is an hour then down for a catnap than back up, sometimes just up for one final push for an hour or two before bed. I really look forward to getting a little bit more of a routine so he can be a bit more predictable, but overall, things are going well.
 
 
4. Drew got his first cold earlier this week. I actually think he got it from me since I had been fighting something small for a week or two. He was congested and was having a hard day or two. One of the nights was really bad as far as sleep because of the cold and I was up a lot. But we have gotten back on track for the most part. Thank goodness for the Nose Frida sucker thing that has helped so much.
 
 
5. The boy is on the move! Well at least by car. He has gone everywhere with us -- to the grocery store, to school, to swim lessons, the park, the mall. You name it, he goes with us. I try to keep him covered and not to let him be touched much as he still is very young, but the life of the 3rd child clearly revolves around the older siblings. He is a trooper and done pretty well so far! 
 
 
6. Nursing is going well. He will eat anywhere from every 45 minutes to going 2.5 hours in between. It just all depends. I definitely produce hungry boys and he is no different! We have tried the bottle with pumped milk a few times and he does great with it. My goal is to keep this up so I can have a little bit of freedom if needed, but I will say it is hard to pump and nurse. In a few weeks I might see if he will take some formula -- just for those few occasions every week where it would be nice to use versus pumping/heating/etc. just to give him a bottle. Nursing in public while keeping up with the older two is definitely not easy, but we are hanging in there.
 
 
7. Drew is already wearing some 6 month clothes. Ha! But mostly he is in 3 month clothes. He wears sleepers to bed and I usually try to put him in short sleeve soft outfits during the day since it is already so hot here.
 
 
8. I caught Drew rolling over from stomach to back several times one day earlier this week and even got it on video. He hasn't done it really since then so not sure if it is a fluke or not. He likes being on his back on a quilt or his play mat (if he is full and not hungry) and to look around and watch his brothers play around him. He definitely already likes watching the fan above him too!


9. I got another grunter with this guy. Luke was a terrible grunter and Ben did it too although I don't think quite as bad. I think he has some tummy troubles at times. I use gas drops but I am not really sure they help. He burps a lot after nursing (more than either of my other two) and will usually spit up just a little bit after each nursing session.
 
 
10. Drew will sort of take a pacifier. I keep trying to train him and it is just hit or miss if he will take it. But when he does, it has definitely helped us at times. For instance when we were at soccer practice yesterday for 2.5 hours and it was raining and I didn't have anywhere to sit. He woke up and clearly wanted to nurse, but settled for the pacifier and went back to sleep. In those instances, I am so happy he did. It would have been hard to juggle all of that.
 
 
 
11. The boys are still in love with him and always want to hold him and help me! The best was them wanting to help me give him a bath last night. But really all I got was commentary and giggles on the size and shape of his penis. Boys will be boys!
 

My goodness I love these three!
(But I really hope to get more sleep soon...)

No comments: