Sunday, August 3, 2014

(Our Little Swimmer}

We finally have a swimmer on our hands!! 
 

Luke started swim lessons when he turned two and took them for about a year before stopping last summer. He learned some things but to be honest I didn't feel like he was old enough to really grasp anything about true swimming. So as summer was approaching this year, I felt like it was time to try it again. I knew it would be hard at the pool with both boys if he didn't get some independence. In late March we signed up with some friends and he has made huge strides in the past four months or so. He can swim independently across the pool now! He still has trouble coming up for air while swimming though, so I try to get him to do shorter distances or he literally will be gasping for air when he finally gets to the wall. 

He has learned how to use his goggles as well and that has really helped. Luke loves to dive for things at the bottle of the pool too. He really has turned into a little fish! He does get tired eventually and then will put on his float if I ask him too. He can really wear himself out and that is when I don't think he is really strong enough to swim without me being right there to help. But he is happy to oblige once he gets some time do the fun stuff first!


I realize now between four and five years old is the best age in order to really learn strokes and how to swim. So I have decided to hold off on Ben this year and we might start him next year as he will be a bit closer to four years old.  He is just happy with his floats on and just kicks around the pool!

No comments: