Sunday, November 24, 2013

{Fractured Foot}

Having boys I pretty much figured we would have broken bones, stitches and other injuries in our near future.  I wasn't quite expecting it to happen so soon and to my 23 month old.  Yep...Ben fractured his foot! 

It happened last Saturday, November 16th.  I was playing outside in the backyard with the boys.  Ben walked off and headed to our old swing set around the back of the yard.  I was dealing with Luke on the driveway and all of a sudden I heard Ben crying.  I couldn't see him from where I was, so I walked over to him.  He was just standing by the slide (towards where he would go up the ladder) and was crying.  Nothing too major, but definitely seemed like he hurt himself.  He cried for maybe 2 minutes and then stopped.  Then about 20 minutes later I noticed he was limping.  It was his right foot.

Not knowing what happened or how he hurt it and the fact that he only cried for a couple of minutes, I figured it was something minor.  I decided I would just watch him over the next few days.  Well over the next five days, he continued to limp.  He started walking on the side of his right food, not putting any way on his big toe and the toe next it.  I thought maybe he broke a toe that Saturday.  Knowing you can't do much for a broken toe, I continued to watch it, but made an appointment for Thursday to go to the pediatrician just in case I felt like we needed to go.

By Thursday, I knew something was wrong.  He was not limping any less and I could just tell it was something more.  So we headed to see Dr. S that morning.  She thought it would be a good idea to get an x-ray.  She wasn't overly concerned that it was actually something more than maybe just a bad bruise, but with the Thanksgiving holiday coming up, she knew if he continued to limp and then we tried to figure it out later, we could run into offices that were closed.  So we headed to the Imaging Center.  I got a call from Dr. S within about 20 minutes of getting home and she confirmed that he fractured his right cuboid bone.  She referred us to an orthopedist.

Bad picture while he was getting his x-ray
(He was clenching an Ariel sticker to help distract)

By 1:00 pm, we were at ortho getting fitted for a boot.  Luckily he would only have to wear it for about 3 weeks and it should heal.  Ben did amazingly well all day.  At three different doctor's office and through a set of x-rays.  He smiled and was overall happy and content.

Entertaining himself by making a choo-choo train at the orthopedist appointment! 

Until the darn boot.  He went postal when we put it on him.  It took a few hours, but he finally started to accept it.  He has a few bad moments here and there with it and occasionally rips it off, but overall he is doing pretty well.  He walks, runs and climbs with it...so I am hoping it is doing its job even with all his activity!

This was before he went postal...
 
Absolutely worn out from the day's activities

So not even two years old and this boy has been in intubated and in the ICU, been to the ER for choking, another ER trip for breathing issues again and now has been the first to fracture/break a bone.  I am so nervous about what the next 16 years will bring to us while he is under our roof.  Thank goodness for wine and prayer!

2 comments:

AP said...

Oh Ben! You are a trooper!

Brittney said...

Oh no, poor Ben:( I'm sorry, sweet Mama!