Tuesday, July 30, 2013

{Luke: First Dentist Appointment}

The boys' pediatrician has been recommending going to the dentist since Luke was 18 months or so.  She definitely recommended at the age of 2 and luckily she didn't ask at his 3 year check-up.  Because I would have been in trouble!  I went with my gut and I chose not to bring Luke before now because I knew it would not go well.  We would have made it through, but I always considered at what cost.  Getting this boy a haircut up until about 6 months ago was horrific, why would I think this would be successful?  I wanted his first dentist appointment to be a good experience...not one where I am pinning him down, him screaming, fighting me the whole time. 

So I waited.  And waited.  And waited a little bit more. 

Then June rolled around and I just got the feeling he could do it.  So I called and made an appointment and we went this morning.


I am so proud of Luke.  He did amazingly well and proved to me how much he has grown up over the last year.  He was able to answer the dentist and hygienist questions and respond to and understand what they were doing.  They got him to be interactive with the visit and he just soared through with flying colors.  He sat still through his cleaning and flossing, had no cavities and helped the dentist count to 20 -- the number of his teeth!  My heart was bursting by the end of it.

We go back in six months and that visit will require x-rays when he is four years old.  They told me to expect a challenge and tears because most kids his age still find that a struggle.  So we will cross that bridge when we get there, but today, I am happy and proud of my big boy.

But hold me....they convinced me to bring Ben back in September at the age of 20 months!

2 comments:

AP said...

Wow! Luke did amazing! Ally screamed her head off when we went at 1.5yrs so I held off going again until earlier this month. She still cried and would not cooperate at all- I think the dentist was barely able to count her teeth let alone really look at them! I'm just hoping that as we keep going every 6 months and it becomes routine, Ally will mature and it will get better :) Hopefully next time she'll do as well as Luke did! Good luck with Ben!!

Brittney said...

Yay for success with Luke!! Ben may surprise you and do just fine;)