Monday, January 23, 2012

{Pneumonia}

You read that right...Luke has pneumonia. 

This weekend he has been running a low-grade fever, but he has been acting normal for the most part.  Then last night about 7:30, I just looked at him and knew he had taken a turn for the worst.  I took his temperature and it was 102.9, so I went running for the medicine to hopefully bring his fever down.  After taking it again about an hour later, it was 103.6.  I quickly called the pediatrician's office and waited for someone to call back.  I talked with a nurse from Texas Children's and she told me how to handle the fever and his congestion/cough.  She said no need to call back regarding a high fever unless it reaches 105.  About 10:30 pm I took his temperature again and it was 104.  Chat and I quickly pulled him out of bed, undressed him down to a diaper, laid him on the bathroom floor and started giving him a sponge bath with cool water to bring his temperature down -- he was bright red and was so hot to the touch.  Luke was very brave during all of this, only whimpering and looking a bit dazed.  The sponge bath brought his fever down to about 101 and he seemed to be much more comfortable.  So my night was spent waking up every 2 hours to take his temperature (it was around the 102.5 range all night) and give him medicine. 

Once he was up this morning, we went to the doctor and the diagnosis was pneumonia.  He has fluid in his right lung and right ear and his breathing is very labored.  She prescribed antiobiotics to treat the pneumonia and the ear infection and said that he should be getting better within 24 to 48 hours, and if not, to bring him back for xrays.  Many prayers that he has a quick recovery and that our household is sick-free very soon!!!
Photobucket

3 comments:

Brittney said...

First of all, HUGE CONGRATULATIONS on Luke's arrival. Saw your post awhile back and not sure if I ever commented - was a bit of a crazy time for us. Your son is beautiful!

Oh no on the pneumonia!!! I'm so sorry to hear about your poor, sweet baby! We haven't experienced that before so I don't have good advice, but will definitely be praying he makes a quick recovery.

Brittney said...

I'm sorry - Ben! BEN is beautiful:)

AP said...

Oh no! Poor Luke, hope he is feeling better soon!!